Bug#656196: kernel stalls every few days (rcu_sched_state detected stall on CPU x)
- To: Michael Below <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Bug#656196: kernel stalls every few days (rcu_sched_state detected stall on CPU x)
- From: Jonathan Nieder <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:30:53 -0600
- Message-id: <20120117183053.GC19137@burratino>
- Reply-to: Jonathan Nieder <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com>
Michael Below wrote:
> since a few versions back (2.6.36?), the kernel quite regularly reports
> a stall on one of it's CPUs. Usually this seems to happen if the system is
> idle. When i read about the IGMP bug being fixed, I hoped this
> would solve it, but today it happened again. I am pasting the
> syslog below.
> I am aware that my kernel is marked as "tainted" because of the
> virtualbox drivers. If you think it might help, I am glad to
> remove those and report back.
Does /var/log/dpkg.log* give any hints as to when this problem first
appeared? If no obvious explanation jumps out, I'd recommend trying
some kernels from snapshot.debian.org to find which version introduced
Looks usb-related. Does unloading the ohci_hcd module avoid trouble?
> Jan 17 13:13:38 ossietzky kernel: [11333.261825] INFO:
> rcu_sched_state detected stall on CPU 3 (t=34032 jiffies)
These lines are line-wrapped, which makes them hard to read. Please
use an attachment next time.
Thanks much, and hope that helps,