Re: cpupowerutils packaging plans

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 07:01 +0900, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> Hi kernel team,
> cpupowerutils (the evolution of cpufrequtils) has been included as part
> of the tools/ directory in the upstream linux kernel source.
>
> do you have any plans of packaging cpupowerutils as part of linux-tools
> or can I go ahead and package it separately?
>
> Or even, is it worth spawning a new package off of the linux kernel
> source (as is done today for linux-utils) and get cpupowerutils built
> each time a new kernel is released?

Bastian Blank has plans to move building of userland tools such as perf
into the linux-kbuild-2.6 source package (renamed to linux-tools).  You
can find this work in progress under
<svn://svn.debian.org/svn/kernel/dists/trunk/linux-tools>.

I think cpupowerutils should be built as part of linux-tools.  However,
I assume that it will not be as closely tied to new kernel versions as
perf, so it does need to be part of a version-specific package.  Is that
right?

> I guess the main downside of packaging it as part of linux-utils (or the
> linux kernel builds) is the fact that package revisions for
> cpupowerutils would spawn a new kernel build.
[...]

We do that quite often anyway... but no, it won't if it's part of
linux-tools.