Re: Performance problems with squeeze kernel

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 14:36 +0200, Thorsten Giese wrote:
> Am 31.08.2011 14:09, schrieb Ben Hutchings:
> >> I think I found a performance issue in the kernel (2.6.32/amd64) of the
> >> squeeze release.
> >>
> >> I tested from different servers and each time made a wget of a 16 MB
> >> file from a remote co-location which is connected with gigabit (but the
> >> issue showed also on a 32MBit/s "dial-up" cable connection).
> >>
> >> The squeeze system starts the transfer significantly slower and takes
> >> longer to get faster over time (on a 2GB file the maximum was reached
> >> after 12 seconds). The lenny system reaches this maxium very fast so the
> >> overall time drops from 2.4s to 0.4s. It could be, this is related to
> >> changes in TCP/IP behaviour. I could not see this behaviour in the same
> >> subnet, it shows up, as soon as routing is involved in the connection.
> > [...]
> >
> > Which network driver are you using?
> >
> > Is there any packet loss?  Run 'netstat -s | grep retransmited' to
> > check this.
>

> I checked and I am using the e1000e on all affected systems. I checked
> on a squeeze system with the r8169 driver and the problem seems not to
> appear there.
[...]

OK, so that narrows this down a bit.

We're about to update e1000e in stable to add hardware support, but it
may help with this problem as well.  Can you test the appropriate
package from <http://people.debian.org/~benh/packages/>?  (The changes
file contains checksums for all files and is signed by me.)