Re: Building udebs from linux-2.6

On Thu, 2011-07-28 at 13:39 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:50:11PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
[...]
> > 2. The automatic inclusion of module dependencies sometimes results in a
> > module being selected for multiple packages.  kernel-wedge does not
> > attempt to resolve this, and treats it as a fatal error.  It should be
> > turned into a warning when building linux-2.6 for experimental.
>
> I don't see a way to detect that from the source.

To detect what?  The distribution is in debian/changelog, and
debian/bin/gencontrol.py already does some different things depending on
the distribution.

> >                             He is wary about this because currently the
> > explicit lists of modules provide a useful check that modules have not
> > been unexpectedly removed.  (This sometimes happens due to introduction
> > of new kconfig variables without sane defaults.)  We need to check for
> > this in some way.
>
> Did this problem break hell loose in the past? I can't remember
> anything. However we could make this part of the ABI, which we check
> anyway.
[...]

It happens rather too often: see #627492, #625510, #624124, #624372.

The ABI gets reset on each new upstream version; we would need to add a
more persistent list of modules expected.  This check should also
perhaps result in warnings rather than fatal errors when building for
experimental.