Re: Symbolic links to kernel image files and initial RAM file system image files

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 19:56 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
[...]
> The last time I checked, the
> "do_symlinks = yes" setting in /etc/kernel-img.conf was still honored by
> the maintainer scripts for official stock Debian kernel image packages;

Still correct.  And they also support making hard-links or copies to
vmlinuz/vmlinux/initrd.

[...]
> o  Require boot loader hook scripts to either edit their configuration
> files or maintain the symbolic links
>
> o  Provide hook scripts in some other package (base-files?
> initramfs-tools?) that maintain symbolic links
>
> o  Eliminate symbolic links entirely and require boot loader hook
> scripts to edit their configuration files
>
> o  Bury our heads in the sand and ignore the problem
[...]

Boot loaders *should not* maintain symbolic links, since that means
duplicating logic (and there are probably cases where multiple boot
loaders are installed and they may trip over each other).

Hook scripts will just perpetuate the use of the undocumented
/etc/kernel-img.conf.

I would like to see these 'traditional' boot loaders provide the option
to update their configuration automatically.  This should be done with
the aid of the new 'linux-version' command from linux-base.

I have been meaning to work on this, but it's just one of a long list of
tasks.

Absolutum obsoletum. (If it works, it's out of date.) - Stafford Beer