Re: preferred solution for building kernel.deb and defining Entry point address

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:59:01PM +0200, Marcus Osdoba wrote:
> Hello Mailinglist,
>
> I recently experimented with building kernels based on squeeze's
> patchlevel. The target (Wii, a powerpc flavor) is not that important
> for the next question:
> What is the currently preferred solution for building kernel
> packages - make-kpkg or deb-pkg?

The kernel team usually recommends 'make deb-pkg', and some of us work
on the scripts for that upstream.

> The FAQ proposes make-kpkg while the kernel handbook talks about
> deb-pkg target only [1]. The "kernel building" sources in  [2]
> "recommend" the make deb-pkg.
>
> Background: Both variants (make-kpkg and deb-pkg) produced a kernel
> different to using plain make statements.

They should both be using 'make' i.e. the default target.

> In my example the
> resulting image using debian-scripts had an Entry point address at
> 0xc0000000. Using plain make statements produced an Entry point
> address at 0x600000. Unfortunatly the non-scripted version booted
> successfuly, the Entry point 0xc0000000 didn't boot on my Wii.
>
> I grepped the debian/rules and .configs, but I didn't figure out,
> WHERE this Entry point is defined. Maybe it is some Debian default
> for the powerpc architecture - differing to upstream default?
>
> Since playing with a bootable Wii kernel based on squeeze's
> patchlevel is highly experimental and just private hobby, I don't
> expect any deeper help, BUT it should be documented, that the debian
> rules are choosing an Entry point address for you (or please enlight
> me if my suspicion is completly wrong).
[...]

The upstream default for CONFIG_KERNEL_START on powerpc is 0xc0000000.
The 'deb-pkg' scripts don't make any changes to the kernel config.

Please explain exactly how you are building the kernel with a
different entry point (config changes and commands).

Ben

                                                              - Albert Camus