Re: Kernel and initramfs hooks for flash-kernel

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:28:34AM +0000, Hector Oron wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   flash-kernel is a debian-installer ARM utility which is able to
> produce bootable kernel and initramfs (aka initrd) images. It converts
> vmlinuz and initrd images to bootable format which the bootloader
> understands, most common use is to generate uImage and uInitrd for
> U-Boot booloader.
>
>   flash-kernel needs to be run after creating or upgrading a kernel
> image and after creating or upgrading initrd image. There has been a
> long standing open bugreport (#550584) and a kernel hook policy [0].
>
>   While I am not entirely sure, I think proper way to add hooks would be:
>   * one hook triggered by kernel scripts creating uImage from vmlinuz
> post package installation.
>   * and other hook triggered by kernel scripts creating uInitrd after
> initrd- has been created.

Hook scripts are ordered by name and the 'zz-' prefix is reserved for
boot loader hooks so they run last.

> (the reason why I think it should be triggered by kernel scripts
> instead initramfs-tools, is that maybe in future we could have random
> initramfs generators, so instead placing a initramfs-tools hook, a
> kernel hook after initrd generation might be useful)
[...]

The initramfs post-update hooks are supposed to be called by any
initramfs builder, not just initramfs-tools.

Currently the only alternative is dracut and I have filed a serious
bug on it because it does not use the standard hooks.

                                                              - Albert Camus