scsi partitions (sizes) mixed up during boot (fwd)

Hi,

(This mail did not make it originally, due to too large attachments? Now using pastebin instead.)

lspci-v.txt           http://pastebin.com/HMXmWmsD
lspci-nn.txt          http://pastebin.com/0k4YUDDC
partitions_slc_2.6.9  http://pastebin.com/9GUXzA09
partitions_2.6.26-2   http://pastebin.com/fTzHLzvm
partitions_2.6.32-5   http://pastebin.com/tD6dhXze
dmesg_slc_2.6.9       http://pastebin.com/DmCBYAW4
dmesg_2.6.26-2        http://pastebin.com/vsLHX5Mn
dmesg_2.6.32-5        http://pastebin.com/YgBNZpyA

I have a MS-9245 1U Rackmount Server (dual dual-core opteron) together with a StorCase SC U320/SATA16R raid box. To this machine, the 16 bay SATA raid box exports one RAID5 array of 6.6 TB as 4 slices, and another 1 TB part of a disk as another slice. The main export is in 4 slices as the box cannot export slices larger than 2 TB. Sizes not exactly the same to easily tell them apart. The slices appear as four disks (sd[bcde]) and are then glued together again as a linear md0 array. (see partitions_slc_2.6.9 and dmesg_slc_2.6.9)

Up to now the machine has been running scientific linux (that is end-of-lifed) with a 2.6.9 kernel. I now tried to install debian squeeze on it, but before much noticed that the scsi disks appear with wrong sizes. (see partitions_2.6.32-5, and dmesg_2.6.32-5)

When trying with the kernel from lenny (2.6.26-2), the partitions seems to come out right (partitions_2.6.26-2, dmesg_2.6.26-2). As it is a production system, I have not yet ventured to do harder testing. (I do have a copy of the data.)

In the dmesg, it looks like the initialisation is taking place for all the disks on the bus at the same time, which possibly confuses the raid box. I have tried the option 'scsi_mod.scan=sync', but this did not solve the issue. (enabled in the attached dmesg)

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Håkan Johansson