Re: Linux 3.0

Please reply to debian-kernel as originally requested.

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 00:09 +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO Lors  de la soirée naissante du  lundi 30 mai 2011,  vers 18:52, Ben
> Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> disait :
>
> > As you may have seen, the next version of the Linux kernel will be 3.0
> > (or 3.0.0).  There is no significant API change; this just shortens the
> > version string and marks the start of the third decade of Linux.
>
> Are we  sure that the  change won't be  reverted later in the  RC cycle?
> This change  will break  a lot  of software that  rely on  detecting the
> kernel version to make some decisions.

Then it was broken already.

> Maybe the 3.0.0 could be released as 2.6.40 to avoid unnecessary breakages?

I would strongly oppose doing such renumbering in Debian.  It is
possible that Linus changes the version back to that, but I doubt it.
We could delay uploading it to unstable for a while if this is necessary
to allow time for fixes to userland.  (But I do not want to wait for the
many OOT modules which will undoubtedly break.)

Ben.