Re: Linux 3.0

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 23:12 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On May 30, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > There are likely to be many programs and build scripts that test for a
> > kernel version prefix of '2.6' vs '2.4' and will behave incorrectly when
> > they find '3.0'.  Others require that there are at least 3 numeric
> Expect module-init-tools and three udev scripts to break, for a start.
> I will fix them in the next upload.

I'm aware that depmod tries to parse at least 3 version components.
Currently utsname::release is set to "3.0.0-rc1" so I think it isn't
broken yet.

> This is hugely annoying, because it means that squeeze installs will
> not work with the kernel from wheezy.

Based on past experience, I would expect udev to do that for us
anyway. ;-)  But I certainly hope to avoid this situation.

> (How much difficult would it be to add some knob to the kernel or the
> libc to make it report to userspace version 2.6.40? :-) )

I could accept changing "3.x" to "3.x.0" if Linus insists on using only
two components.