Re: Dropping 686 non-pae kernel

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 11:23 +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I'd like to drop the i686 non-pae kernel. Currently we have sometimes
> -686 with PAE; only the normal kernel is without PAE. I'd like to get
> rid of this problem. Also this enables the use of the NX bit if supported
> by the CPU.
>
> There are some i686 processors without PAE support. This are some of the
> Pentium M (all of the Banias line and some of the Dothan line) and the
> Via C3 Nehemiah. All of them are released 2005 and earlier.

Also Geode LX.

Are there any changes we could/should make to the 486 flavour that would
make it perform better on 686-class processors?  Should we consider also
dropping 486 support and making it a 586 flavour with corresponding
optimisations?

> There are several possibilities to do this:
> * Change name of meta-package:
>   - Breaks nothing
>   - Needs manual intervention by anyone using it
> * Don't change the name:
>   - Breaks some systems
>   - No manual intervention by the rest

Rename 686-bigmem to 686.  Keep the 686-bigmem metapackage as a dummy
package depending on the 686 metapackage (for one release).  When the
686 metapackage is upgraded on a system that doesn't support PAE,
display a warning with debconf.