Re: ARM: OMAP2+ flavour

Hello,

2010/11/29 Sebastian Reichel <elektranox@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 06:17:59PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
>> * Sebastian Reichel <elektranox@gmail.com> [2010-11-23 09:42]:

>> However, personally I'd like to see explicit support for some OMAP
>> devices in Debian installer, otherwise I don't see a lot of value
>> in providing a kernel. (Those who don't need d-i can probably also
>> compile their own kernel or take a kernel image from an external
>> web site).

> I do not know much about d-i internals, but there was a Google
> Summer of Code project this year, which was supposed to add Openmoko
> Freerunner support to d-i. So it should be that much work to add
> Nokia N900 support? Apart from this it should be easy to add support
> for the Beagleboard or Pandaboard, since they very similar to a
> normal PC, but I don't own them ;)

Pandaboard (OMAP4) and BeagleBoard (OMAP3) based devices boot off
SD/MMC card, in the case of Pandaboard it only boots off SD/MMC (no
MTD device available). debian-installer does not have support for MTD
devices due to parted not supporting it (#487738), but some
improvements have been done and bitrot [0]. So, basically, what
debian-installer needs to add to support such devices (taking in
account debian-installer runs native)? Maybe a cross installer which
puts together a kernel + rootfs in a cross way is more than enough. I
am currently cooking out one for my purposes (#604834), but it is not
ready yet. In anycase, if anyone takes the lead to add support for
OMAP into d-i and kernel, I am available to help and test it out.

Best regards

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/MTD
--
 Héctor Orón