Re: Minutes of the Debian linux-2.6 Group Meeting

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 01:52:12PM +0000, maximilian attems wrote:
[...]
> Action item by Ben to poke Vince for a Debian solution with
> enough horse power and no bandwidth troubles.
> Also the automated tests proposed at the kernel summit are to be watched.

This is what I was talking about: <http://lwn.net/Articles/414064/>.

[...]
> The shared tree with Ubuntu 2.6.33 stable tree was pointed out as
> base, but might be missing stuff. maks will point gregkh to that
> tree and see if he is interested to take some into 2.6.33 stable.
> Ben did check the .34 stable tree patches and will check if we miss
> some .35 drm ones that maybe are applicable.

There was also a question about whether SLE developers might be interested
in sharing the drm33 stable branch.  However, gregkh says that the 2.6.33
improvements weren't interesting for SLES while on the desktop they are
now concentrating on MeeGo which has a later kernel version.

> Regression from -26 seems reproducible by bwh with graphical programs
> using clutter. bwh will investigate those. It may have a link to the
> new resume trouble people are reporting.

I got a lot of hangs/crashes while at the mini-DebConf and LPC, but none
since (if I remember correctly).  So I suspect I've actually been seeing
either a temperature-dependent hardware problem or something related to
wifi rather than graphics.

In any case I think this is unrelated to suspend/resume regressions.

[...]
> There is an unknown status of nouveau on ppc and sparc. jcristau will
> ask davem. Kicking out nv out of testing is consinderated.
> Trouble is that sparc and powerpc have no vesa fb fallback but only
> openfirmware fb. Radeon KMS is a known regression from UMS (can't
> change backlight, and can't suspend/resume at least on powerpc).
> xorg should currently remove modeset on these archs.
[...]

mjg59 subsequently said he has a native (non-ACPI) backlight driver for
the Radeon hardware which would be usable on non-x86 platforms in
conjunction with KMS.  This is stalled on an unresponsive subsystem
maintainer for backlight.

                                                              - Albert Camus