Re: updated text

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:38 PM, dann frazier <dannf@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 08:10:09PM -0400, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:35 +0100, Mario Kleinsasser wrote:
> > Hello Dann,
> >

> > I've got your message from the list and would like to ask you what
> > this mean? We are massively using OpenVZ for our containers and this
> > is the base of our weberver farm. The lxc Linux Containers project
> > (http://lxc.sourceforge.net) sounds similar as OpenVZ. Are the kernel
> > patches based upon the work of OpenVZ from Kir Kolyshkin? My colleague
> > and I know Kir Kolyshkin (OpenVZ) since some years and we are in
> > contact from time to time with him.
>
> I believe that many of the OpenVZ developers have also been working on
> Linux Containers.

Yes, my understanding is that they are working to redesign pieces to
get them excepted upstream, and then altering the OpenVZ patches to
make use of the upstreamed code. (This is based upon a talk by Kir at
the LF Collaboration Summit in April).

Yes I know, he talkes about it also at the LinuxTAG 2009 in Berlin.

I hope to see a mature/upstream LXC implementation for wheezy to which
we can migrate OpenVZ/Linux Vserver users.

Thumbs up, I think this could be an good option for a larger circle of users.

> > I gather that it isn't currently a problem for us because squeeze will
> > have an OpenVZ kernel image but its good to know whats coming next
> > because we then have to productive migrate a lot of instances.
> > Does anyone know whats the currently status of OpenVZ integration in
> > Debian 6.0 and later is? Whats the plan or vision?
> [...]
>
> It is still supported in Debian 6.0, and the OpenVZ developers are
> actively maintaining a branch based on Linux 2.6.32 which we are taking
> fixes from.

I'd add that, in my experience, the OpenVZ developers have been very
good at working with Debian and our users - this isn't a rebuke of
their work, but is part of an effort to reduce the overhead of
maintaining several flavors, and to target upstreamed solutions.

Thats also my mind.

Are there currently any binary debs for lxc available or in plan?

Mario

--
http://www.n0r1sk.com