Disable smartpoll netfront option in Xen flavour? (Was: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: new netfront and occasional receive path lockup)
- To: debian-kernel <email@example.com>
- Cc: Pasi Kärkkäinen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Disable smartpoll netfront option in Xen flavour? (Was: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: new netfront and occasional receive path lockup)
- From: Ian Campbell <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:46:14 +0100
- Message-id: <[🔎] firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <20100914184429.GF2804@reaktio.net>
- References: <email@example.com> <D5AB6E638E5A3E4B8F4406B113A5A19A2A658C2F@shsmsx501.ccr.corp.intel.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <D5AB6E638E5A3E4B8F4406B113A5A19A2A658D1C@shsmsx501.ccr.corp.intel.com> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20100913160840.GC2804@reaktio.net> <4C8E7D33.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4C8FB6D3.email@example.com> <20100914184429.GF2804@reaktio.net>
I think we should pull the changesets which make smart poll optional and
then disable it by default into the squeeze kernel. What do you think?
I presume it is preferred to pull the individual changesets at this
stage rather than rebasing to a newer xen.git? (I can do either if you
On Tue, 2010-09-14 at 19:44 +0100, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:54:27AM -0700, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> > On 09/14/2010 01:25 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 20:36 +0100, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> > >> On 09/13/2010 09:08 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > >>> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 09:01:57AM -0700, Gerald Turner wrote:
> > >>>> Then I restarted all domUs with use_smartpoll=0 and haven't had any
> > >>>> lockups in 7 hours.
> > >>>>
> > >>> I think we should default xen/stable-2.6.32.x to use_smartpoll=0 for the time being
> > >>> until this is sorted out..
> > >> Agreed.
> > > Should we also consider adding a netback option to disable it for the
> > > system as a whole as well? Or are the issues strictly in-guest only?
> > >
> > > Perhaps netback should support a xenstore key to allow a toolstack to
> > > configure this property per guest?
> > It depends on what the problem is. If there's a basic problem with the
> > smartpoll front<->back communication protocol then we'll probably have
> > to revert the whole thing and start over. If the bug is just something
> > in the frontend then we can disable it there until resolved.
> > Fortunately I haven't pushed netfront smartpoll support upstream yet, so
> > the userbase is still fairly limited. I hope.
> There has been quite a few people on ##xen on irc complaining about it..
> I think the smartpoll code has ended up in Debian Squeeze 2.6.32-5-xen kernel..
> Hopefully they'll pull the "Revert "xen/netfront: default smartpoll to on"" soon..
> -- Pasi
Current Noise: Opeth - The Twilight Is My Robe
He who blows his own horn always plays the music
several octaves higher than originally written.