Re: Xen "pvhvm" driver support for squeeze?

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 12:06 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 03:44:01PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > The full series of patches can be found at
> > http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb?p=people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git
> > in the branch 2.6.32-pvhvm
>
> I still veto the xenfs change. For rationale see
> <20100527225440.GC25018@wavehammer.waldi.eu.org>. You can help me fix
> this, as I currently lack the time to do that.

(http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=127500093308294)

xenfs is already in the mainline kernel (since v2.6.29-rc1 if git
describe isn't lying to me), so I'm not sure what you are vetoing here.

I don't think anybody likes /proc/xen but unfortunately it is the
historical interface provided by the kernel and it is used by existing
userspace from both dom0 and domU so even if it were completely replaced
by an equivalent sysfs interface it would likely need to be maintained
for a transitional period.

In other words, while I agree that /proc/xen isn't great and that we
should be moving over to interfaces in /sys or /dev/ etc I don't see why
it would block any use of a kernel which contained it.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

Your friends will know you better in the first minute you meet than your
acquaintances will know you in a thousand years.
		-- Richard Bach, "Illusions"