Re: Xen "pvhvm" driver support for squeeze?

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 11:18 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> I did not request a copy of this mail, please respect that.

Sure, sorry about that.

> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:43:50AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:37 +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > > We have this code already, so no extra round.
> > In the xen flavour only though. I'd like to get these drivers into the
> > regular flavours so that they are available for Debian Installer to use.
>
> This is no excuse, the installer uses the real PV kernel.

Not when running in an HVM guest it doesn't, which is the whole point of
this driver.

> > My intention was to add the series to the base patch series and add a
> > patch to the xen flavour to revert them so that pvops.patch applies
> > cleanly.
>
> No. The same code two times, maybe slightly different, is no option.

Agreed.

I would prefer to refresh the pvops.patch so that it contains the same
version of this driver as is added to the base flavour. IOW this
specific functionality would drop out of pvops.patch since it would be
present in the base -- to do that I'd need to know how to refresh the
pvops.patch in a controlled way...

> > BTW, are you going to refresh pvops.patch? How do you do that, I wasn't
> > sure which base version to use for git diff, the target version is
> > contained in the patch header.
>
> My last tried update broke anything and I did not get to it after that.

Anything I can help with?

Ian.