Re: Xen "pvhvm" driver support for squeeze?

On Tue, 2010-07-27 at 15:44 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> The pvhvm drivers for Xen allow a fully virtualised guest (aka HVM) to
> use the Xen PV disk and network interfaces the same as a Xen guest
> running paravirtualised, in addition they allow for PV time and event
> delivery, suspend/resume support and PV hooks to improve performance
> under shadow page tables.
>
> The drivers are currently in linux-next and are expected to go in during
> the next merge window. Stefano (the upstream author) has also prepared
> backports to 2.6.32 for RHEL6 and I would like to know if there would be
> interest in (or rather objections to) my adding these to the squeeze
> kernel?

This looks OK in principle.

> The majority of the patch is a new driver for a virtual PCI device which
> provides the glue to allow the existing PV drivers to work in an HVM
> context.

One nit is that you are adding to <linux/pci_ids.h> which is deprecated
now.  You should just define the vendor/device IDs in the driver.

> The diffstat (below vs 2.6.32) is a bit daunting but really it is just
> some infrastructure hooks and the new "platform-pci" driver. The
> functionality is also rather modular so it would be possible e.g. to
> just have PV disk and network but not time etc etc.
>
> The full series of patches can be found at
> http://xenbits.xensource.com/gitweb?p=people/sstabellini/linux-pvhvm.git
> in the branch 2.6.32-pvhvm
>
> Opinions?

I note that the backport branch was only created today, so I'm guessing
it hasn't had a whole lot of testing yet.

Can we put off this decision for a week or so, so you and your
colleagues have time to test the backport branch and we can also see
Linus's decision on whether to pull the changes into 2.6.36?