Re: Proposed changes to initramfs-tools hook scripts

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010, maximilian attems wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010, Stephen Powell wrote:
>
> > Max,
> >
> > As promised, here are my proposed changes to the initramfs-tools hook scripts.
> >
> > /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
> > http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools
> >
> > /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools:
> > http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools
> >
> > I release the changes under the same license as currently used.
> > I did not include the scripts or patches in-line in my e-mail because my
> > e-mail client has the nasty habit of expanding tabs, inserting extra line
> > breaks, etc.  So I up-loaded the files to my web site and included links
> > to them in this e-mail.
> >
> > Changes:
> >
> > (1) Does not create an initial RAM file system image for a custom kernel
> > created by make-kpkg if one was not requested by the --initrd flag of
> > make-kpkg.
> >
> > (2) Redirects STDOUT to STDERR when invoking update-initramfs.
> >     (Avoids output being swallowed by debconf's redirection of STDOUT.)
> >
> > (3) Postinst.d version always exits with status code zero, even if an
> >     error occurs attempting to delete the initramfs.
>
> thank you very much. applied your 3 changes to branch maks/hooks on
> http://git.debian.org/?p=kernel/initramfs-tools.git;a=summary
> please review before I'd merge into master for next upload.
>
> I'm not sure if the indirection to STDERR is needed for make deb-pkg,
> but it shouldn't hurt there?

so mika reviewed
http://git.debian.org/?p=kernel/initramfs-tools.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/maks/hooks

he critisize the exit 0 without any stdout/stderr message.
so rethinking why do you want that anyway?

I do not see the point of it, update-initramfs is already told
to not care if that initramfs exists with the takeover flag
so will not errexit.

thanks