Re: [DRAFT v2] Policy for Linux kernel, initramfs, boot loader update process

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 09:18 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 13:48:20 -0400 (EDT), Ben Hutchings wrote:
> >
> > 0. The arguments given to all kernel hook scripts are the kernel ABI
> > version (the string that uname -r reports) and, optionally, the absolute
> > path to the kernel image.  If the second argument is missing then the
> > path is either /boot/vmlinuz-$version or /boot/vmlinux-$version,
> > according to architecture convention.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but what architectures use the vmlinux convention
> rather than the vmlinuz convention?  I've only worked with the i386
> and s390 architectures, and they both use the vmlinuz convention.
> Perhaps more importantly, why do these architectures use the vmlinux
> naming convention

Hysterical raisins.

> and why is it important to maintain a separate
> naming convention?  Wouldn't it be simpler to use the same naming
> convention on all architectures?  No doubt this has been discussed before,
> but I'm new at this.  Feel free to refer me to a previous discussion
> thread if appropriate.

That would require an upstream change.

> > Kernel hook scripts may be run under debconf.  In this case they must
> > not use stdin and stdout, and should send all output to stderr (fd 2).
> > [Alternately we should change linux-2.6 and kernel-package to do the
> > necessary redirection.  Is there any legitimate reason for a hook script
> > to interact with debconf?]
>
> So far, I have had no requirement to interact directly with debconf
> in a hook script, but why close out our options?

So that hook script authors can't make the mistake of failing to
redirect.

[...]
> > 2. Packages for boot loaders that need to be updated whenever the files
> > they load are modified must also install hook scripts in
> > /etc/initramfs/post-update.d.  Initramfs builders must call these
> > scripts using run-parts after they create, update or delete an
> > initramfs.  The arguments given to these hook scripts are the kernel ABI
> > version and the absolute path to the initramfs image.
>
> My template hook script for this directory currently tests whether a
> maintainer script beginning with "linux-image-" is being processed, and,
> if so, exits without doing anything.  Presumably, only such a maintainer
> script will create or delete an initramfs.  At least that is my assumption.
> Upon further reflection, however, maybe I should expand this test to look
> for Hurd kernels and FreeBSD kernels?
[...]

It's possible that this policy can be extended to cover them, but I just
don't know anything about their boot process.