Kernel package for powerpcspe

Hello Kernel team,

Currently I plan to come up with a kernel package for the powercpspe
which is currently in debian-ports. I have a few questions:
- what is the easy way to create the kernel config? I guess you don't
  use vim for that :) I've found a ruby script in an earlier svn
  revision but it is gone now.
- what are the rules for out-of-tree patches? I guess patches which are
  merged upstream but not yet in the debian-kernel are okay, everything
  else is unlikely to be accepted.
- the initrd has to have an uImage header around it. Currently I
  install a script to /etc/kernel/postinst.d/$(REAL_VERSION) to get this
  done during installation of the package. Is this okay or is something
  else prefered?
- besides the kernel and initrd I have a device tree which contains all
  the relevant device informations for a single board. Is it okay to
  throw them in at $(INSTALL_DIR)/$(BOARD)-$(REAL_VERSION).dtb? It is
  very convinient in the D-I case because after the install the user has
  everything in /boot.

Sebastian