Re: [DRAFT] Policy for Linux kernel, initramfs, boot loader update process

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 19:07:16 -0400 (EDT), Ben Hutchings wrote:

> Please reply to debian-kernel only.

As you wish.  I had reason to believe that some key players were
probably not subscribed to debian-kernel.  But they are now
at least aware of the thread and can follow it further if they
so desire.  I have now subscribed to debian-kernel myself;
so there is no need to CC me.

> On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 11:16 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:02:35 -0400 (EDT), Ben Hutchings wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> The environment variable DEB_MAINT_PARAMS will contain
>>> the arguments given to the kernel maintainer script, single-quoted.
>>
>> Is this environment variable provided by the maintainer scripts
>> that come with kernel image packages created by "make deb-pkg"?
>> (I honestly don't know.  I've never used "make deb-pkg".)
>
> It has done since 2.6.31, though without single-quotes.  I'll note that
> they may or may not be quoted, and recommend how to use this variable.

OK.

>>> [...]
>>> 5. Kernel and initramfs builder packages must not invoke boot loaders
>>> except via hooks.  If /etc/kernel-img.conf contains an explicit
>>> 'do_bootloader = yes', kernel package maintainer scripts should warn
>>> that this is now ignored.
>>
>> At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I would prefer to see
>> "do_bootloader = yes" supported until Squeeze+1, both by the
>> kernel maintainer scripts and by "update-initramfs -u", particularly
>> since we are so close to a freeze.
>
> The release team has stated we are not close to a freeze.  So we have a
> little time to sort this out.

That's good.

>> But if
>> you're going to drop support for it in Squeeze, then yes,
>> a warning message is necessary.  Both the kernel maintainer scripts
>> *and* "update-initramfs -u" *must* issue a warning message if they
>> find "do_bootloader = yes" specified in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
>> In fact, since the default value is "yes", they should issue
>> the warning message unless do_bootloader is *explicitly* set
>> to no.
>
> I can put a one-time warning into linux-base.  But the default for
> squeeze must be 'no'.  It should not be necessary to create
> /etc/kernel-img.conf at all in squeeze.

That's a good idea.  I'm just concerned about migrations from
a previous release where users may be relying on the implicit
default to get their boot loader run.

>>> 6. The installer must not define do_bootloader, postinst_hook or
>>> postrm_hook in /etc/kernel-img.conf.
>>
>> Doesn't this conflict with point 4 (a)?
>
> Not at all.  This means postinst_hook and postrm_hook are now strictly
> for use by the user.

OK.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell