Re: A question about hard disk names with recent kernels

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 06:39:26PM +0200, Svante Signell wrote:

> Previously my hard disks were named hda, sda and sdb. Now they are named
> sda, sdb and sdc. Is this due to the UUID naming scheme used
> in /etc/fstab, /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
> and /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules.

No, it's due to the long-running upstream transition away from the IDE
driver framework in the kernel to a generalized framework for
{SCSI,PATA,SATA}.  The switch to a UUID naming scheme is done in *response*
to this, recognizing that owing to this transition (as well as other
factors), kernel device names are not stable.