Re: Adding new drivers to Debian's 2.6.32 kernel?

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> writes:
> On Sat, 2010-04-10 at 21:21 +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>
>> Do you think an exception may be possible for this driver?  If so, I can
>> prepare a patch proposal for review.
>
> Please do.  Also, report this as a bug.

I understand that the kernel team has lots of more important bugs to
take care of than wishlist bugs, but I'd really appreciate it if someone
commented on http://bugs.debian.org/577264

I am still unsure about the preferred way to provide such a driver
patch.  The first version attached to the bug was just a copy of the
upstream version with the necessary modifications to make it build under
2.6.32.

I have now done the job identifying which commits created the current
upstream version, and instead provided a patch set consisting of cherry
picked upstream commits. Is this preferred, even though it results in a
high number of patches (120 to be exact)?  It keeps a lot of meta data,
which I guess is useful.

This alternate patchset is now attached to the bug:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=10;filename=mantis-patches.tar.gz;att=1;bug=577264

Bjørn