Debian's Kernels and Cloud Computing with Eucalyptus

Dear Debian Kernel team,

Charles Plessy and I share a longer interest to bring our
Debian Med environment together with data and talk more
about how to organise and use that environment. Now,
with the advent of clouds this seems like good fit, and we
learn that we are not alone in this thinking - in Debian and
beyond.

The folks at Eucalyptus, a UC Santa Barbara off-spring
offering an Open Source clone of the Amazon Web Services,
are "with us" in various ways, the first have DM status.
he idea is to offer squeeze as cloud ready, i.e. to offer
readily available kernel-initrd pairs to serve as the basis
for cloud-run images. Eucalyptus aims for a Debian partner
status.

My understanding is that there is basically no extra work
for you as the Kernel team to do, though you should be
aware of the additional channel into which your
kernel/initrd setups are flowing. It should be a mere shell
script that takes what is there and adds some ssh magic
for cloud-typical access, but, whatever it is, we would find
some way to render this transparent to you.

A challenge now is a bit not to make mistakes in the
Debian internal communication of the cloud's advent, so
everyone is as happy as possible about the development.
I would not want to surprise you via an announcement to
Debian-Devel. Also, I would like to know your team to be
in direct contact with Chris and/or Shashi (who are very
busy with yet  another release these days, please forgive
some extra latency in their replies) from Eucalyptus, without
too many opinions on Debian-Devel expecting too much
immediately. After speaking to you, there is the Debian
release team to contact, and I am currently seting up a
local installation for testing and learning.

The offering of readily installable binaries from your updates will
be done through my hands if there are no other volunteers.
To reduce complexity I would prefer to omit any discussion
about Xen. KVM would be more of your liking, I presume.
Here I am hoping for some guidance by your team.

So, you all who read this, please feel introduced to yourselves
and the current (pleasant, I think) situation. Please reply to all
with your thoughts and requests/ideas about it all,

Best regards,

Steffen