Re: rndis problem

Please use 'reply to all'; this is not a private conversation.

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 04:05:15PM -0400, Mark Glassberg wrote:
> I installed and tried linux-image-2.6.32-bpo.3-686 and linux-image-2.6.32-
> bpo.2-686, without success.  While Mandriva is able to install my modem/
> router as eth2 (I have two ethernet cards), neither of these can.

Maybe we should look at the Mandriva kernel source to see whether they have
a bug fix that isn't included in the mainline kernel.

> I thought that the driver might be a usb gadget, but neither the Mandriva
> nor the Debian kernels have that configured.

'USB gadget' drivers are used on USB devices that run Linux, e.g. on some
ebook readers.  They are not used on PCs.

> Attacked is the Mandriva
> /proc/bus/usb/devices file.  Note that my device uses rndis_host as its
> driver, but the kernel messages from my old/present kernel which I sent
> yesterday indicate that rndis_host fails to get the "ethaddr."

Yes, I understood that.

> It is possible that my kernel lacks access to the necessary firmware.  I
> am attaching a listing of the Mandriva /lib/firmware directory.
[...]

No, no firmware is required.

                                                              - Albert Camus