Re: Upgrade script for libata transition

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:44:57PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 22:29 +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> [...]
> > Trying to install it again succeeds, I guess because it skips some
> > already-asked debconf question, as it does not try to modify
> > /etc/silo.conf the second time. The new silo.conf looks like this:
> >
> > # root = /dev/sdb2
> > root = UUID=c6cd1add-df06-4bea-a511-76a0802d74b0
> [...]
> > which, quite predictably, is not understood by silo:
> >
> > jurij@debian:~/linux$ sudo silo -f
> > Config file error: Syntax error near line 2 in file /etc/silo.conf
> > Error parsing silo config file /etc/silo.conf
> >
> > I glanced through the SILO code and have not find any evidence that
> > it supports device identification by UUID. Do you have any reason to
> > believe that it should work, because I fail to see one.
>
> LILO/SILO/etc. don't interpret the root - this string is passed to the
> kernel and then to the initramfs.  However, because it has an '=' in it,
> I think it needs to be quoted.  Can you test that this works with
> double-quotes around the UUID= string?

Hmm, whaddaya know, with quotes it works :-). I've also checked what
Ubuntu has been doing, and they switched to UUID by replacing
/dev/sdXN by /dev/disk/by-uuid/<uuid>. The package available at

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/silo/1.4.13a+git20070930-1ubuntu1

contains the postinst script which accomplishes that.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC