Re: Uploading linux-2.6

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 20:19 +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Ben Hutchings (ben@decadent.org.uk) [100125 20:14]:
> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 08:02:31PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > * Julien Cristau (jcristau@debian.org) [100125 19:27]:

> > > That our testing users don't have to life with strange error messages
> > > they wouldn't get if the abi would be bumped properly.
> >
> > OK, maybe we should start numbering ABIs with this next version.
>
> I'd appreciate that very much.

There has been some argument over whether we should do this or not.
Bastian and Max seem to think that many more ABI-changing config changes
will still be needed and do not want to start numbering yet.  I'm not
convinced that changing the ABI number repeatedly in testing/unstable
will even hurt that much since we no longer have to worry about
dependent module packages in the archive.  It may add to cruft on users'
systems but this can be fixed after a reboot with 'apt-get autoremove'.

I do want to see this argument resolved before building and uploading,
but I also don't want to hold back security and stability fixes.

You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?