Re: Upgrade script for libata transition

On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 12:06 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Linux kernel packages for "squeeze" will use libata-based drivers in
> preference to old-style IDE drivers.  On some systems this will change
> the names of PATA devices and will also change the names of SCSI devices
> already present in those systems if they are enumerated after the PATA
> devices.
>
> On upgrade, we will recommend that users identify hard disk volumes in
> configuration files by label or UUID (unique identifier) rather than by
> device name, which will work with both old and new kernel versions.  I
> think that in most cases it should be possible to update the system
> configuration automatically, if the user agrees to this.  The following
> script implements this.  Please review and verify that it does the right
> thing for your package's configuration file(s).  (I would also welcome a
> more general review of the code.)
[...]

I have not yet seen any comments from maintainers of the various boot
loaders.  It is vital that this upgrade process is reliable and does not
prevent systems from booting, so please do review the code for your boot
loader.

If you prefer, I can prepare packages that include this script on
postinst and upload them to people.debian.org for you or others to test.

To err is human; to really foul things up requires a computer.