Re: Building free firmware

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 10:11 +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:42:26PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > Some firmware used with Linux drivers has source included or otherwise
> > available under a DFSG-free licence.
> >
> > The examples I am aware of are:
> > - av7110 (http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/Boot.S)
> > - dsp56k (firmware/dsp56k/bootstrap.asm)
> > - keyspan_pda (keyspan_pda/*.S)
> >
> > The firmware blobs surely don't belong in firmware-nonfree, so we could
> > either create a new firmware-free or include them in linux-image
> > packages  The latter option will obviously result in large numbers of
> > duplicates, though so far the blobs in question are quite small.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> firmware-free package for them sounds good.

A package called firmware-linux-free will now be built from linux-2.6.
No configuration file is needed for building and installing firmware, so
I didn't have to struggle too much to build it as an arch:all package.

I renamed firmware-linux to firmware-linux-nonfree and made
firmware-linux a metapackage that depends on both the above.  Bastian
may wish to review the metapackage support I added to gencontrol.py in
firmware-nonfree.

Kids!  Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous.  Do not attempt it in
your own home. - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, `Good Omens'