Re: unification filesystems -- packaging aufs2, etc.

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 06:10:32PM +0200, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> > Proposal
> > ---------
> > It seems to be the best idea to use unionfs-fuse for now (like Ubuntu)
> > until a new kernel-based solution has been packaged. It may also be a
> > good idea to coordinate this with the Ubuntu developers, so both distros
> > can use the same method of filesystem unification.
> >
> > 1. The Debian Live project adds support for unionfs-fuse.
>
> this shouldn't be that hard, however, it's a serious regression in terms
> of speed, therefore i really hope kernel team will accepts aufs2 patches.

Another option for Debian Live would be to use Device Mapper, like Fedora
does, by using an ext3 image which is located inside a SquashFS image. This
way, you only need functionality already provided by the kernel and no
external modules.

But even if this is a realistic option, we still need filesystems such as
unionfs or aufs for other users. And hacking the filesystem to work without
kernel patches is possible, but it leads to security problems and probably
other problems as well.
--
Julian Andres Klode  - Free Software Developer
   Debian Developer  - Contributing Member of SPI

Website: http://jak-linux.org/   XMPP: juliank@jabber.org
Debian:  http://www.debian.org/  SPI:  http://www.spi-inc.org/
Ubuntu:  http://www.ubuntu.com/  FSFE: http://www.fsfe.org/