Re: (Not so) surprising loss of e100 module.

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 17:05 -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> I'm wondering whether there's a bug I can file to make it easier for
> users of kernel 2.6.29 and later to know they might want firmware-linux
> installed also.
>
> I just upgraded from 2.6.26 to 2.6.30 and update-initramfs complained
> that it couldn't find the e100 firmware.  I didn't have it so naturally
> the new kernel couldn't use the e100 driver.  Not too surprising, there
> has to be some reason to call it "unstable". ;-)
>
> At first glance I didn't find firmware-linux since it doesn't say e100
> in the description (the firmware name is in there though so I'd have
> found it by looking harder).

The names of the specific hardware are included in the firmware package
descriptions, but as you've seen these can be quite different from the
driver names.  So perhaps we should include the driver names too.

> So I wonder, by the time 2.6.30+ goes to stable, how will a
> non-technical user know they want firmware-linux?  Should the
> linux-image packages recommend it (they can't depend on non-free, right)?

They are not allowed to recommend it either, though "suggests" is
allowed.

> Is this something that's already solved?  Is it something that needs to
> be solved?

It definitely needs to be mentioned prominently in the release notes.

When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare ...
and say `Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'. - Linus Torvalds