Re: Applying e1000e patch to the Debian 2.6.26 kernel

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:50:34AM +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>> So I'm wondering, did somebody applied some patches for e1000e between
>> the release of Lenny 5.01? Or maybe, the e1000e on the X8STi-3F is
>> different from the one of my Thinkpad t500? Is there even different
>> versions of the board at Intel?
> [...]
>
> There are many slightly different chips handled by the e1000e driver.  If
> it was broken for all of them we would have fixed it before release!  You
> have to test on the specific model which the kernel from "lenny" doesn't
> work on.
>
> Ben.

That is quite what I think as well. Here's what I am up to.

1/ The Debian kernel, which USED to have no support for my Thinkpad
e1000e works fully now. Someone MUST have done something to the kernel,
because I'm 100% sure that at the time of Lenny, it was not working.
2/ On our last test on the Supermicro board, it did FAIL last week.

Now, I have asked my hardware supplier to put one of these X8STi-F
online in order to test with it, he has been very nice, and he said he
will. I'll be able to do a full test and report here.

Thanks to you all for helping me to find out what's going on!

Thomas