Concurrency and file systems

Hi,

I'm looking for an advise regarding file systems.

I use Debian Lenny. I have a program that does highly concurrent file
IO, i.e. it has several threads reading/writing the same file
concurrently.

I'd like to do some benchmarks on the program's IO performance, but I
don't want to interfere with the kernel internals too much. So I'm
looking for a file system that doesn't block, use fine-grained locking,
and so on. Basically, I'm looking for something that gets out of the
way.

So far, I tried tmpfs and ext3, but I'm not really satisfied as CPU
utilization is somewhere below 50% (on a 4-CPU system).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance and best regards, Thomas

--
GnuPG:          https://www1.inf.tu-dresden.de/~s4364144/thomas.asc
Fingerprint:    93C0 F5C2 5C3E A163 E839 A5D3 F579 218D 92AD 52D8