Re: Patches for Debian Kernel.

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 10:23 -0700, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 09:32:15AM -0700, Alok Kataria wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There are a couple of patches, actually fixes, related to VMI
> > ( paravirtualization) which were applied to the mainline kernel. The
> > regression is present in all the kernels starting from 2.6.25. Given
> > that Debian 5 is based of kernel version 2.6.26 we would need these
> > patches in the Debian kernel too.
> >
> > The commits I am talking about are
> > commit 55a8ba4b7f76bebd7e8ce3f74c04b140627a1bad
> >     x86, vmi: put a missing paravirt_release_pmd in pgd_dtor
> > commit 48ffc70b675aa7798a52a2e92e20f6cce9140b3d
> >     x86, vmi: TSC going backwards check in vmi clocksource
> >
> > Not sure what the protocol is to ask for submissions, but I would know
> > after this, i guess.
> >
> > Let me know if you would need anything else from me.
>
> please file a bug with severity important so that the patches
> can be accepted for a stable backport.
>
> do the above patches apply to 2.6.26?
> could you later on test snapshots?

Hi Max,

Dann had already applied one of these patches, Thanks Dann. For the TSC
going backwards check and some other requests that I have i will file a
bug and take it from there.

Regarding testing of snapshots, yes I can have someone test it out over
here on VMware platform, but I had assume that you would also do some
testing for regression on native hardware with any of these patches.

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

Alok