Re: Standardizing use of kernel hook scripts

Hi,

        While we are talking about API's for hook scripts, we should
 also discuss initramfs creation.

        Some kernel images, based on their configuration, need
 initrd's. All official kernel images fall in this category.

        Images  created using upstream make deb and make-kpkg may need
 initrds, but can also support non-initrd configurations.

        Traditionally, make-kpkg either called or did not call the
 initrd creation script on install based on what it was told while
 creating the iamge .deb, by stashing the information in the postinst
 (and can continue to stash the info, of course).

        But how is this information supposed to be passed on to the
 initramfs generation script, if it lives in /etc/kernel/*.d ?

        We can decree that each site only have kernels which need
 initrd, or do not need initrd, since our infrastructure can not support
 these mixed features of kernel images (though grub and co have no
 difficuluty in these mixed scenarios), or we can specify additional
 features that the scripts can look for (not just the maintainer script
 options that has been proposed).

        The current assumption that the script not run when itis passed
 two arguments and only run when it has been passed one is an unholy
 hack that should not pass muster of draft policy.

        manoj
--
This fortune is dedicated to your mother, without whose invaluable
assistance last night would never have been possible.