Re: Upgrade script for libata transition

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 01:39:46PM +0100, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Dec 29, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > For optical disc drives, it may be possible to update udev naming rules
> > in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules; I have not tried to
> > implement this yet.
> It looks hard. Just deleting it on upgrades will solve the problem for
> most users.

I agree the enumeration order is not likely to change for most users.
However this will cause problems for people who switch back and forth
between different kernel versions (e.g. when testing whether a bug is
fixed in unstable).

> >  The new Linux kernel version provides different drivers for some
> >  IDE/ATA disk controllers.  The names of some hard disk, CD-ROM and
> >  tape devices may change.
> Maybe the text should be amended to clarify that this is about old
> parallel ATA devices and not SATA devices.

Good point; I'll do that.

When you say `I wrote a program that crashed Windows', people just stare ...
and say `Hey, I got those with the system, *for free*'. - Linus Torvalds