Re: lenny kernel memory leak?

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 22:36 +0200, Mikko Rapeli wrote:
> (maybe debian-kernel is a better place to ask than debian-user)
>
> I have an old home gateway with 32 MB of ram running email, apache 1.3 with
> some static files and an rt2500 based ad-hoc mode WLAN AP with dnsmasq.
> Since upgrade from etch to lenny, I've seen a number of OOM situations and
> slow downs after a few days of uptime. Is there some perhaps known memory leak
> in lenny 2.6.26 kernels, perhaps in rt2500 driver?

I'm not aware of such a bug, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Please note that the rt2500 driver is not part of the kernel package,
which instead provides the rt2500pci driver.  Have you tried using
rt2500pci instead?

> In ad-hoc mode the rt2500 driver very chatty about so I disabled klogd for
> now, but AFAIK kernel uses a ring buffer which should not slow anything down.
>
> Here's a diff of /proc/meminfo after boot and when seeing a dramatic slow down
> after a few days of uptime. I think the anonpages difference shows a memory
> leak in kernel, am I correct?
[...]

The strongest evidence is that the 'slab' (kernel heap) size grows
hugely.  The 'anonpages' size shrinking shows that this is squeezing
user programs into swap.

Hoare's Law of Large Problems:
        Inside every large problem is a small problem struggling to get out.