I/O monopoly and I/O control

Dear sir or madam!
Sorry for my bad English.
I have some problem with disk input/output. Any process ("dd", for example) can use disk input/output at ~100%. For exapmple, run next as root:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/home/piroman/tmpfile bs=1024 count=12582912
After run, I have very slow system operation. CPU usage = ~20%, Memory usage = ~90% ( my system has 6 Gb RAM). There is an opinion that in it there is guilty monopoly usage of disk input/output.

Hardware characteristic of my system:
1) CPU: 2,4 GHz Core 2 Quad (Q6600)
2) RAM: 6 Gb as 3 modules.
3) Disks: 2x SATA-II + 1 DMA channel

Software characteristic of my system:
1) I have RAID1 (mirror) with use mdadm tool. "raid1" and "md" built as loadable kernel modules.
2) Over raid created partitions, formated as ext3.
3) kernel version 2.6.18 + xen patch (I have this problem in non XEN machines) 4) System is Debian etch (latest updates installed, without latest kernel package).

I don't know where to contol input/output operations... Are Debian GNU/Linux have the tools for controling it? This monopoly very high disturbs to server system operation... Are whether creation of softer sharing of disk input/output over betwen processes is planned?

Best regards,
Mikhail Konuhov.
software delevoper and system administrator.
mailto: piroman@myconfig.ru