Re: Linux image packages going to depend on python

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 06:52:42PM +0100, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi folks

> The Linux image packages needs to do some modifications to core
> configuration files like fstab in the future to allow newer kernels to
> work. To do this and the planned further extension I intend to make all
> linux image packages depend on python.

I agree with Manoj that it's better to have this done centrally in the
maintainer scripts of a single package, on which the linux-image packages
can depend.  Among other things, this prevents local modifications from
being lost if a user adds non-UUID-based fstab entries after the UUID
conversion was first done.

> The python package is already part of the standard system via the
> priority, so for most people this will not make any difference. However
> there was concerns about the size from the embedded people, so I
> consider to restrict that to python-minimal.

python-minimal is an artifact inherited from the Ubuntu packaging, where the
package is Essential: yes and python is Priority: important.  Nothing should
depend on python-minimal except for python itself, in Debian *or* in Ubuntu;
to do so is contrary to the express wishes of python upstream.