Re: Building vanilla kernel .debs

* maximilian attems <max@stro.at> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009, Marc Haber wrote:

>> The equivalent to --revision is KDEB_PKGVERSION, but I haven't yet
>> found a way to emulate --append, since this probably needs
>> modification to the upstream version number ending up in
>> include/linux/utsrelease.h. Is there a variable for this as well, or
>> is the official way to do so parsing EXTRAVERSION from the top-level
>> Makefile and make all EXTRAVERSION=$EXTRAVERSION-foo?

> indeed KDEB_PKGVERSION sets the debian revision.

> well EXTRAVERSION is not recommend to play around.

Though if you don't want to have the '-rc6' inside the *package*
name you don't have any other option than unsetting/overriding
EXTRAVERSION, nor?

> a better way to append a string to upstream version
> (in my game "-foo" was "-grml") is to set CONFIG_LOCALVERSION:
> ~/src/linux-2.6$ egrep LOCALVERSION .config
> CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-grml"
> # CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set

> current tree called with
>  KDEB_PKGVERSION="grml.00~2.6.32-rc6.20091104" fakeroot make deb-pkg j=2
> results in:
>  dpkg-deb: building package `linux-image-2.6.32-rc6-grml' in `../linux-image-2.6.32-rc6-grml_grml.00~2.6.32-rc6.20091104_amd64.deb'.

LOCALVERSION is fine if you want to *extend* the default package
name, right.

> hope that helps, now soon this should end in a more readable doc..

I really like the option to use make deb-pkg for generating debian
packages, should be promoted - yes. :)

What I'd like to see:

* possibility to build linux-headers and linux-source package

* possibility to provide/maintain a non-default-template
  debian/changelog (a cmdline option to specify a file that should
  be used [as base] might be a good start?)

thanks && regards,
-mika-