svn commit 13647

I was wondering what the motivation behind commit 13647 was:

  debian/config/i386/none
  - New directory.
  - Move some config files from debian/config/i386.

It has the unfortunate side effect of meaning that you can no longer simply specify a featureset with a flavour of 686-bigmem and have the necessary config parameters added to your config.  At our company we create our own featureset because it is a convenient way of having having a kernel where we can control the patches applied and how the config parameters are set.  The problem is that with this change, the 486, 686 and 686-bigmem flavours are broken for us because those config files only get applied for kernels that aren't in a featureset.  Isn't the old behavior better where those configs would be the base and any featureset could specify additional configs or override individual config parameters.

On another note, is there a better way that we should be building our custom kernels so that we can still maintain control over kernel config parameters and patches but still inheriting the excellent work that the Debian kernel team does?

--Erik Lattimore