Re: Setting vm.mmap_min_addr for lenny?

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 01:10:21PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> I wonder if it makes sense to set vm.mmap_min_addr to 4096 (instead of
> 0) for lenny.  It seems to me that unstable already made this switch,
> and given the apparently neverending sequence of kernel NULL
> dereferences, this might be quite helpful.

I didn't do this for the pending security update (which added some
other protections), but I don't think it's a bad idea. The kernel
currently recommends 65536 for x86/ia64/ppc64 and 32768 for "arm and
other archs". Though, 4096-for-all seems like a good solution to me.

I was thinking that in the pending DSA[1] we could warn users that this
default will change in the next point release, and provide
instructions for making a local configuration change now. Maybe link
to a wiki page w/ instructions, so that we can clarify/tweak later?

As for packages that need a low min_mmap_addr, should we ask them to
somehow start setting this tunable themselves (e.g., by dropping in an
/etc/sysctl.d file)? Anyone know what Ubuntu is doing here?

[1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel-sec/dsa-texts/2.6.26-19lenny1
    (currently awaiting 1 more arch build)
--
dann frazier