Re: Building vanilla kernel .debs

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 08:51:45AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:21:00PM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 09:53:58PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > > Not in a vanilla kernel tree, I didn't dream of .deb support being
> > > included upstream.
> >
> > it was lingering for quite some time, massaged it for 2.6.31.
> > actually submitted by Wichert Akkerman in 2003 upstream!
>
> I don't know whether I like the idea of relying on upstream to provide
> a current version of a debian-related script. Does the kernel-team
> maintain the respective script in their vcs, and can I simply dump
> your version into a vanilla tree?

we maintain the upstream script and yes upstream is very responsive
to our patches. There is currently no seperated git tree for it,
as patches gets mailed to linux-kbuild and applied to that tree.

also the idea is to keep it simple as possible so not bloat it by
some debconf interaction for whatever bootloader exists or strange
setup (reverse symlinks in /boot). the build should thus be speedy.

> > > For this to be a make-kpkg replacement, I'd need the
> > > possibility to run the actual build process as non-root user while
> > > using fakeroot to build the .deb,
> >
> > done in linux-next kbuild tree heading for 2.6.33.
> >
> > > append a string to the version  number and a debian revision.
> >
> > if you set KDEB_PKGVERSION you can set both, the debian revision
> > is controled by .version.
>
> I'll take a look, cheers.

great, thanks for feeding us with critics and requirements.