Re: Bits from the kernel team

Hi, Vincent and others,

On Oct 19 2009, Vincent Sanders wrote:
> IDE to libata decision
> ----------------------
>
> Debian will perform this transition using the udev packages in a
> similar way to Ubuntu. The Ubuntu developers have offered their
> assistance with this transition.

There are some blocking bugs that still need to be worked on, really.

For instance, I have here a pdc controller whose ide driver works
flawlessly, but for which the corresponding libata driver is not really
ready for prime time.

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/4/20/211
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/4/20/311
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/4/20/298
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/4/20/319
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/4/23/611
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/5/1/53
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/5/11/452

The Linux IDE people are amazingly great, but some bugs are still there.
This one persists, in particular. :-(

It's very visible with Ubuntu's kernel for many releases (since it uses
libata). The way that I'm working with that computer is that I'm
hand-compiling my own kernels, for the moment, but I'm not always there
to support my parents using it and the distribution kernels don't work
satisfactorily. (Unfortunately).

Regards,