Re: Debian extra modules

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 15:51 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 04:58:15PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > As discussed at LPC, Debian currently has the following extra modules:
> >
> > aufs2
> > -----
> >
> > A union filesystem implementation; used by the Debian and Ubuntu live
> > CDs.  The 'standalone' (modular) version could be a candidate for
> > staging.  Although the documentation says that it requires many
> > additional symbols to be exported, currently it only requires
> > release_open_intent().
> >
> > Debian: http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/aufs
> > Upstream: http://aufs.sourceforge.net/
>
> This will never go upstream the two different union-fs-like solutions
> will obsolete it.  One is in-kernel,

Do you mean this one?
    http://www.filesystems.org/unionfs-git.html
    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/ezk/unionfs.git

> and one is using FUSE.

I'm aware of this one.  Ubuntu tried it but apparently it is not
practical for use as the root filesystem.  Aside from performance, there
are problems with the size of the daemon's file table and its lifetime.

> Both should be finished in a few months.

Just like our freeze for release...

[...]
> > speakup
> > -------
> >
> > Speech synthesiser drivers and screen reader support for the console.
> > Maybe a candidate for staging; try asking upstream.  I have heard that
> > it has security flaws but have not reviewed the code myself.
> >
> > Debian: http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/speakup
> > Upstream: http://linux-speakup.org/speakup.html
>
> It's already upstream (well the core is, the individual drivers are
> slowly being forward ported to the new interface.)  So you can drop
> this.
[...]

Well I don't think we can just drop the drivers that are not yet
included.  Still, good to know there's progress there.

I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.