Re: Query on Netlink sockets on debian etch

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 11:18 +0530, sathya sai wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for your mail.
>
> As there were two RTM_DELADDR, I am not sure on how the parsing of
> this msg would result in identifying the notification type.

In the RT-netlink API, the netmask is part of the address, and addresses
are only ever added and removed.  The ability to set the first address's
netmask separately (which is merely there for compatibility with old
tools like ifconfig) has to be represented as removing and adding an
address.

In theory, you could look for an RTM_DELADDR rapidly followed by an
RTM_NEWADDR with the same address and different netmasks.

In any case, by handling RTM_DELADDR you can avoid recording the address
twice.

[...]
> As this is related to routing socket notifications and ifconfig
> command (ioctl), I hope this is query is still related to debian
> kernel forum.

No, not really, as it's not Debian-specific.

> As I have tried my level best on this, otherwise could you please let
> me know the appropriate forum you want me to post this query.
>
> Could you please help me out with your thoughts on this.

You could try netdev@vger.kernel.org.

I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.