Re: More information for bug reports

On Sun, 2009-06-07 at 17:18 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> I'd like to have our bug script gather more system information.
>
> - Hardware model identification:
>
> For x86:
>     (cd /sys/class/dmi/id && grep . {sys,product,chassis,bios,board}_{vendor,name,version}) 2>/dev/null

Done.

> I don't about other architectures but I imagine some identification is
> available for most of them in /proc or /sys.

ia64 has DMI just like x86; everything else appears to have
identification in /proc/cpuinfo, so I've used that.

> - BIOS vs EFI booting:
>
> Probably some useful information under /sys/firmware/efi

I don't remember seeing any bug reports where this would be useful, so
not done.

> - USB device ids:
>
>     lsusb 2>&1

Done.

> - Filesystem configuration:
>
> Ask if it's a filesystem problem first?
>     cat /etc/mtab
> (possibly filtered to hide file server hostnames)

Not sure how useful this is, so not done.

> - Network configuration:
>
> Ask if it's a network problem first?  Solarflare's script to report
> network configuration for support requests uses:
>     ip address show
>     cat /etc/network/interfaces

Done.

>     grep . /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_*

Not that useful.

>     netstat -s

Done.

>     arp -n
>     route -n
>     tc -s qdisc sho

Not that useful.

> and for each interface:
>     ethtool
>     ethtool -a
>     ethtool -c
>     ethtool -k
>     ethtool -S

Unfortunately these require CAP_NET_ADMIN (i.e. running as root).

However, I have included the device feature flags which show most of the
possible offloads, and the basic device statistics from /proc/net/dev.

> This could be considered slightly excessive for a general purpose
> script...
>
> - Module installation:
>
>     dpkg-query -W --showformat '${Status}\t${Package}\t${Version}\n' "*-modules-$RELEASE"

Not all that useful any more.

> - Firmware installation:
>
>     dpkg-query -W --showformat '${Status}\t${Package}\t${Version}\n' 'firmware-*'

I added all the current firmware package names to the Package-Status
field in the control file.

I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.