RE: fragmentation of a datagram

Ben,

> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:03:32 +0100
> From: ben@decadent.org.uk
>> Can the Linux router operate so that it simply sends
>> datagrams to the client without involvement of PMTUD?
>
> I don't understand. I thought the problem was that some of the client's
> *outgoing* packets were being dropped due to exceeding the MTU on the
> WAN link and being non-fragmentable. You can fix that by lowering the
> MTU between client and remote systems; either by PMTUD or by changing it
> on the local link.

Cancel my question above.  It makes no sense.

Last week the problem disappeared as mysteriously
as it appeared a year or so back.  Ie. the non-Linux
client can again send messages by SMTP and files
by FTP with no problems.  Consistent with your
comments above, ifconfig now reports MTU:1500.
Presumeably set by the ISP dhcp server.

So I should check that the non-Linux system really
is setting the DF bit.

Thanks,           ... p. crawford

New! Get to Messenger faster: Sign-in here now!
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9677407