Re: Problems with kernel 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem

maximilian attems wrote:
[ don't cross post to unrelevant lists ]

Sorry!
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 08:47:48AM -0600, David Vanfleet wrote:

Hi, I'm trying to get Debian (Lenny) to recognize 6 Gig of memory on a
Dell PE 2650 server. I installed the basic 5.02a Debian system with just
a minimal install then I installed the 2.6.26-2-686-bigmem kernel so it
will see all the memory. When I boot into the bigmem kernel it fails to
boot, the errors I get are:

   WARNING boot device may be renamed. Try root=/dev/hda3
   ALERT! /dev/sda3 does not exist

To see a snapshot of the full error goto:

   http://www.amwestonline.com/error/DSC07082.JPG

Booting into the regular 2.6.26-2-686 kernel works just fine, but I only
see 4 gig of memory. After the error it drops me into a shell I can see
that /dev/hda3 does not exist. This system is setup with Raid 5. I've
been struggling with this for over a week now so any help would be
greatly appreciated.

fix your bootargs as told above.
device names are not stable!
for that you need to use UUID strings.

Thanks for your response. I can try this, but I don't understand why I would need to do this on a new install where the devices have not been renamed. I've installed many systems and have never had to do this before. Any idea what could be causing this problem?

Thanks,
David